Wednesday, November 26, 2008

GANG GREEN (SOLD OUT)

I think this was Gang Green's first single , I could be wrong . At any rate, It's a monster hardcore record . Years ago when I first heard these guy's I was blown away . I couldn't believe how fast and tight they were . Their original drummer was unbelievable . Gang Green is a hardcore punk band originally from Braintree, Massachusetts. The first incarnation of the band consisted of 15 year olds Chris Doherty, Mike Dean, and Bill Manley and contributed seven tracks to the This Is Boston, Not L.A. compilation in 1982.
That same year the group disbanded and lead singer Chris Doherty joined the band Jerry's Kids for their album Is This My World? In 1985 Doherty reemerged with an all new Gang Green lineup consisting of himself (vocals, guitar), Chuck Stilphen (guitar, vocals), Glen Stilphen (bass, vocals) and Walter Gustafson (drums). This second lineup is the most famous nationally as it was both the first to tour and the one that recorded the songs "Alcohol" and "Skate to Hell". This edition of Gang Green released the Another Wasted Night LP on Taang! Records in 1986. This record is considered to be the band's best recording and was a defining moment in Boston punk in the 1980's.
By 1987, when they were signed by Roadrunner Records the band’s musical style had come to lean more toward heavy metal and the personnel of the band, save Doherty, had changed completely. This incarnation of Gang Green consisted of Doherty, Fritz Erickson (guitar), Joe Gittleman (bass) and former Jerry's Kids drummer Brian Betzger. In 1989 Gittleman left to devote more time to The Mighty Mighty Bosstones and was replaced by Josh Pappe, formerly of Dirty Rotten Imbeciles
.
.
TAANG RECORDS 1984
.
1. SOLD OUT
2. TERRORIZE
3. TAANG DUB
.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Damn Frank, I'm impressed!! I'm gonna start downloadin the hell outta this stuff, sounds good and I like all the info!! Keep it up man!!

Jimzig said...

Classic Stuff, Frank! Thanks For Posting! It's a fast paced world of downloads...Gotta keep up with it

zach said...

this 7" is great but my favourite GangGreen stuff is on the This Is Boston, Not LA comp. those songs are soooo great. oh and i replied to your comment on my site about Mcrad.

Frank Miller said...

I think all of their early recordings are classics.Thanks Zach