Monday, November 24, 2008

THE VICTIMS E.P. (NO THANKS TO THE HUMAN TURD)

I just recently picked this up. Of course I knew of it for years, but it never crossed my path . At least not for a price that I could afford . So this repro is the next best thing. Its such a classic record I had to include it on my site . The Victims were a punk band from Perth, Western Australia, active in 1977-79. The band's members were Dave Flick (Dave Faulkner) on guitar and vocals, James Baker (drums) and Rudolph V (Dave Cardwell) on bass.
Baker and Cardwell had both been members of The Geeks, formed in early 1977 with Ross Buncle on guitar and a vocalist known as Lloyd. That band folded when Baker and Cardwell left to form The Victims with Faulkner, who then referred to himself as Dave Flick. The Geeks' repertoire of original songs formed the core of the Victims' initial repertoire.
In 1977, The Victims released their debut single, "Television Addict" (Faulkner/Baker)/"I'm Flipped Out Over You" (Baker/Buncle), of which only 1,000 copies were pressed. The following year they released an EP entitled simply The Victims (also known as No Thanks to the Human Turd), which included five tracks: "I Understand", "Open Your Eyes", "TV Freak", "High School Girls" and "Disco Junkies". Baker was one of the writers of these songs; the identity of his co-composer is disputed, with some sources claiming that it was Faulkner and others Buncle. Only 500 copies of the EP were released.
Baker went on to play in the first lineups of The Hoodoo Gurus and The Scientists. Faulkner was also a founding member of The Hoodoo Gurus.
.
.
1. I UNDERSTAND
2. OPEN YOUR EYE'S
3. HIGH SCHOOL GIRLS
4. T.V. FREAK
5. DISCO JUNKIES
.

No comments: